I'm attached to this korean guy whom I call my Jagi (자기, endearment "honey" in korean) for slightly more than 1.5 years now. He is from Daejeon, and according to wikipedia, it is South Korea's fifth largest metropolis.

Many questions asked by people around me when they first knew that Jagi is a korean.

1) Aren't korean guys a chauvinist?
2) How do you guys communicate?
3) How did you guys meet?
4) Will you move to Korea after getting married?

(1) Being someone who tends to over-think, I have my doubts initially too. And that’s when I google a lot on things like “dating a korean man”, “korean man vs singaporean man”..... After this period of time together, I realised a person’s nationality really doesn’t define his/ her character. Not only Jagi is not a chauvinist, he’s actually one of the mildest person I’ve met so far. If we really want to put a “chauvinist” tag on korean men, perhaps we are referring to the men in the olden days when only men head out to earn money and they feel their wives have to totally submit themselves.

(2) How do both of us communicate? Honestly I find this amazing too since my korean is really limited and Jagi’s English is not that fantastic. But somehow we just managed to bring across what we want to say, with the help of korean dictionary app at times. I would say we communicate in 70% English and 30% Korean?

(3) This is definitely the top question! We actually met each other over a social networking app “Meeff”. I’ve never used Tinder before but hearing from people around me, I guess Meeff is better for people who are really sincere in making friends from different parts of the world. When I first downloaded this app, my intention was purely to have some korean friends to help me improve my korean language. And coincidentally, Jagi’s intention was to make friends to help with his English. In short, our language exchange became our love exchange. 😅

(4) We talked about this for so many times and honestly we have yet to come out with a firm decision. But I guess in terms of financial stability, Singapore would be the better choice since I will definitely be able to secure a job. Korea is a nice place, but from what I heard, working there is tough especially for foreigners. So at this point of time, Singapore will be our home.



Popular posts from this blog